Changes don’t have to be huge…. there is no need to throw out all your Christmas chocolate, sacrifice your social life for PT sessions and get up 4 hours early for a mindful start to the day. As always, balance is key.
Small changes are easier to make than huge overhauls but they can still make a big difference to your health, especially if you make them a habit. We’ve put together our top 25 healthy life hacks, little changes you can make easily to improve your health.
1. Research shows that fat burns fat. Fats also strengthen white blood cells to fight viruses and bacteria and helps calcium absorb better into our bones. Eat good fats in every meal: coconut, olive oil, avocados, nuts, seeds.
2. Invest in a nice water bottle so it makes drinking water more fun. Add fruits, tea or herbs to encourage you to drink more.
Lifefactory, Glass Travel Mug Marine - Clipper, Organic Refreshing Infusion
3. Smoothies, porridge, over-night oats and chia puddings all make instant tummy fillers to take you through to lunch. Make it in a jar and take on the go. Overnight oats: Mix together and leave overnight: 1/2 cup oats or sprouted oats, 1/4 cup almond milk, 1 tablespoon chia seeds. Add your favourite milk, fruits, superfoods, granola & nut butter for extra pizazz.
Check out our overnight sprouted chia oat with berries recipe
Rude Health, Utlimate Almond Milk - Planet Organic, Organic Porridge Oats - Raw Health, Chia Seeds
4. Start the year with a restock of healthy pantry essentials to fuel your kitchen adventures.
Here's a shopping list: coconut oil, honey, nut butters, tahini, bag of protein powder, chia seeds, jar of miso, tamari, apple cider vinegar, pink himalayan salt, bouillon.
Raw Health, Cider Vinegar - Planet Organic, Coconut & Almond butter - Clearspring, Tamari Soy Sauce
5. Beauty sleep is a thing. Enough sleep is essential for cell growth and repair. For the restless sleeper try taking a magneisum supplement of eating high-magnesium foods: dark leafy greens, nuts, seeds, fish, beans, whole grains, avocados, yogurt, bananas, dark chocolate.
Ossa, Beef Bone Broth - Better you, Magnesium Oil - Planet Organic, Organic Pumpkin Seeds
6. Healthy snack and protein bars make a great afternoon pick me up and help resist the temptation to reach for sugary treats. Always carry one around with you - you never know when you might need it!
Planet Organic, Chia & Vanilla Bar - Squarebar, Cacao & Coconut Bar - Go Macro Apples & Walnuts
7. Batch cooking on a Sunday or doubling up your dinner makes it quick and easy to throw together healthy meals all week, even when you're super busy. Just combine pre cooked veggies & grain with fresh greens and a drizzle of dressing or dip for a well balanced meal bowl.
Rod & Ben's, Classic Houmous - Organic Butternut Squash - Biofair, Organic Quinoa
8. Chocolate can affect the amount of serotonin in the brain. This chemical is known for having an effect on mood. But some things in life you don’t need a scientific test for.
Coco, Earl Grey & Bergamote Chocolate - Raw Bonbon, Matcha Slice - Doisy & Dam, Quinoa, tea & Vanilla
9. It's a great way to get through Dry January...and beyond! Not only does it curb over-snacking, its full of antioxidants and tonnes of different health benefits. There is a tea for every occasion.
Teapigs, Lemon & Ginger Infusion - Teatox, Power Detox - YogiTea, Green Energy
10. Wake up your metabolism and alkalise your body first things with a mug of warm water & a squeeze of lemon. If it works for Gwyneth and Beyonce…
Biona, Italian Olive Oil - Meridian, Light Tahini - Coconut Company, Coconut Vinegar
12. The easiest & quickest way to cram a tonnes of veggies into your day is to bung them in a blender and make a juice, smoothie or a soup for an alkalising nutrient boost.
S30 Vitamix - Organic Sweet Potatoes - Tideford, Organic Red Lentil Soup
13. Your metabolism converts the food you eat into the energy needed for everything you do. Some foods can give us a helping hand and actually boost your metabolism. Green tea, caffeine, acai, cinnamon, ginger and chilli have all been found to increase metabolism.
Organic Traditions, Acai Berry Powder - Organic Peppers - Teapigs, Green Tea
14. Coconut oil is not just for cooking with….did you know it also makes a great moisturiser, hair conditioner, lip balm, cuticle softener, frizz tamer, eye cream and make up remover.
Biona, Raw Virgin Coconut Oil
15. Don't let Winter get the better of you; we all know oranges contain vitamin C but have you tried any of these other immune boosting foods….medicinal mushrooms, ginger, green leafy veg, garlic? Try this...mix together some freshly grated ginger, manuka honey & cayenne pepper then add hot water for a flu fighting drink.
Comvita, Manuka Honey - Four Sigma Food, Instant Reishi - Organic Ginger
16. Protein powder isn't just for the gym. It makes a great addition to a balanced diet, particularly if you're vegetarian or vegan. Protein is essential for building and repairing cells & tissue.
Try it in this simple smoothie recipe; 250ml milk of your choice, 1 banana, 1 tbsp nut butter & 1 scoop protein powder OR try our Benchpress or Press Up Smoothies.
Sun Warrior, Chocolate Blend - OPC, Whey Protein - Pulsin, Orange & Chocolate Chip Protein Snack
17. Its really important in our busy lives to take time out and look after ourselves. For 5 minutes a day try and completely clear your mind. Close your eyes and concentrate on your breathing, from your feet upwards relax all the muscles in your body, if your mind wanders dont worry just refocus on your breathing and how your body feels. It is important to pay attention to how your body feels and this will make the morning tube journey far more relaxing!
Beefayre, Bee Calm Scented Candle
18. Plan your shopping list to eat seasonably - fresh fruit and veg is at its peak of nutrition and taste when in season. A few mentions for this Jan & Feb: Kale, Celeriac, Purple Sprouting Broccoli & Rhubarb!
Organic Brocoli Sprouts - Organic Beetroot - Organic Kale
19. Put simply, probiotics are good bacteria which keep your gut healthy. It is becoming clear that gut health is really important for overall health so it is important to feed these good bacteria with gut friendly foods.
Optibac, Probiotics For Every Day - Laurie's, Sauerkraut - Bio-tiful, Organic Kefir
20. We’re all time poor and have a million excuses for not going to the gym. Find ways to incorporate movement into your day; sacrifice that lie in, bike or run to work, go for a walk at lunch time and of course use the stairs not the lift!
Supervitality, Super Carbs + Protein - Genuine, Coconut
21. Don't deprive yourself! Balance is key to sustain healthy habits and life's too short to always stick to the rules.
Inspiral, Raw Chocolate Blackout Tart - Pana Chocolate, Raw cacao - Beanfields, Bean & Rice Chips
Planet Organic, Sprouted Oats - Tolerant, Red Lentil Rotini - Coconut Secret, Coconut Aminos
23. Fats, carbohydrates, protein and vegetables are all an essential part of a balanced meal so don't leave any of them out. Include as many colours as possible in your meals for a larger breadth of nutrients.
Rhug Estate, Organic Chicken Breast - King Soba, Buckweat Noodles - Organic Rocket
24. Try a gluten free meal or go vegan for a week. Ever considered paleo? This isn't about dieting….you can't fail. Just experiment and discover what works for your body and puts you at your best.
Amisa, Buckweat Fusilli - Violife, Prosociano - Planet Organic, Chocolate Paleo Granola
25. For all our latest ideas, new products and lunch creations! We hope to help you eat well and live better.