- 2 large sweet potatoes, pealed and chopped into thumb sized pieces
- 150g red split lentils
- 1x400g tin kidney beans
- 3 cups of Oats
- 2 tsp vegetable bouillon powder (or two vegetable stock cubes)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast Salt and Pepper to taste
- 12 Portobello Mushrooms
- 6 Tablespoons Hummus
- Baby Lettuce Leaves
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius.
- Step 1: Start by putting the lentils and sweet potato in a pan. Cover with double the volume of water and stir in the stock bouillon powder or cube to dissolve. Bring to the boil and cook for around 25 minutes - until the sweet potatoes are soft and the lentils still have a little bit of bite. Leave them to drain so you loose as much water as possible.
- Step 2: Wash and peal and de-stem the mushrooms and place on a roasting tray with some olive oil and put in the oven to roast for 25 minutes.
- Step 3: Mash the red kidney beans in a big mixing bowl. Add the lentils and sweet potato and mash again until its all combine but still a little chunky! Season well. Now stir in the oats well until you have a mixture you can shape in your hands - if you’ve over mashed you may need to add more than stated in the recipe.
- Step 4: Shape 6 patties out from the mixture. In a frying pan add a little olive or coconut oil and cook three at a time for 3 minutes on each side - repeat with the rest. Put them on a roasting tray in the oven and continue to cook until everything else is ready.
- Step 5: Before you serve add a dollop of hummus on 6 of the portobello mushrooms (on the inside) and put back in the oven for 3 minutes to melt. Then your good to go, compile with some lettuce leaves, avocado or plum tomatoes & enjoy!