MAKES: About 20 cookies
PREP TIME: 30 mins
COOK TIME: 45 mins
- 250g/9oz butter, softened
- 240ml/8fl oz/scant 1 cup brown rice syrup 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300g/101⁄2oz/21⁄2 cups wholemeal spelt or wheat flour
- 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 115g/4oz/1 cup porridge oats
- 55g/2oz/1⁄2 cup quinoa flakes
- 50g/13⁄4oz/1⁄2 cup millet flakes
- 75g/21⁄2oz/1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- 30g/1oz/1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 115g/4oz/3⁄4 cup raisins
- 115g/4oz/3⁄4 cup unsulphured dried apricots, finely chopped
- 50g/13⁄4oz/1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Put the butter, brown rice syrup, egg, vanilla extract and 125ml/4fl oz/1⁄2 cup water in a large bowl and beat using an electric mixer or by hand, for 10 minutes until creamy.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, porridge oats, quinoa flakes, millet flakes, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, raisins, apricots and chocolate chips, if using. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until blended.
- Working in batches, drop 20 teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto a baking sheet, spacing them about 2cm/3⁄4in apart. Bake for 11 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and, using a spatula, transfer the cookies to a wire rack and leave to cool. Serve warm or at
room temperature.STORAGE: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.