The recipe is also a great way to sneak in one of portions of vegetables early in the day, as well as providing you with a good source of protein.
For the added protein, we’ve used a mix of plant based proteins – pea and hemp – which you can buy here
- 3 tbsp ground flax seeds plus 9 tbsp water or one egg
- 250 g buckwheat flour
- 1 tbsp pea and hemp protein powder (or other form of protein powder)
- 500 ml almond milk
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach
- Coconut oil (more for frying)
- Toppings (optional): Honey, maple syrup, berries, bee pollen, nut butter, coconut yoghurt
1. Soak the flax seeds in the 9 tablespoons water for about 10 minutes in case you’re not using the egg.
2. Then make the pancake batter by placing all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mixing with a hand blender or in a food processor until smooth and green throughout.
3. Heat about ½ tsp coconut oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Once melted, add approximately 1/3 cup of the batter and fry for about 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side, until the pancakes are slightly golden and can be easily turned. Fry all of the pancakes, one after another(or maximum two at the time) and place on a baking sheet to cool off or in the oven to keep warm.
Add your favourite toppings and enjoy!