- 1 large butternut squash (approx. 1kg)
- 21/2 tablespoons barley miso
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted if solid
- 3 slices of ginger plus 15g peeled and finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 red chilli
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
2. Peel and halve the butternut squash, discarding the seeds, and roughly chop into 2cm cubes. Place in a deep roasting tin.
3. In a small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon of barley miso with the melted coconut oil. Pour all over the squash, mixing well.
4. Roast for 35–40 minutes, turning halfway through to ensure an even roast.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the stock. Place the slices of ginger, the garlic and red chilli in a saucepan with 850ml water. Bring to the boil and simmer with the lid on for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the flavours to infuse.
6. When the squash is ready, remove the aromatics from the stock and transfer to a blender with the roasted squash, remaining miso paste and grated ginger. Blend until very smooth and season to taste. Serve with the lime wedges