SERVES: 2 adults and 2 children
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 30 mins
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for frying
- 1 egg, beaten
- 350ml/12fl oz/scant 11⁄2 cups rice milk, plus extra as needed
- 70g/21/2oz/1/2 cup bluberries, chopped strawberries or chopped banana (optional)
- Maple syrup,
- 1⁄2 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 70°C/150°F/Gas 1⁄4. In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, egg and rice milk. Pour the dry mixture into the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth. Fold in the blueberries, if using.
- Heat a griddle over a medium-low heat until hot or heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan. For each pancake, drop 1–2 tablespoonfuls of the batter onto the hot griddle, spacing them slightly apart. If the batter is too thick and the pancakes don’t spread, add a little more milk
1 tablespoon at a time to thin out the batter. Cook for 2 minutes until the bubbles on the surface pop and the undersides of the pancakes are lightly browned. Flip the pancakes over and cook for another 1–2 minutes until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate and keep warm
in the oven while you make the remaining pancakes. If using a frying pan, add more oil to the pan as necessary before cooking each batch.
- Spread each pancake with a little butter and serve hot, drizzled with maple syrup or sprinkled with lemon juice and sugar.STORAGE: Refrigerate the batter for up to 2 days. Refrigerate the cooked pancakes for up to 3 days.