Chipotle Hokkaido Pumpkin with Cauliflower Rice
Wondering what to make for dinner tonight? We may just have the answer - and it's seasonal, delicious and plant-based. Combining seasonal hokkaido pumpkin (though you can use any squash), with spicy chipotle paste and flavoured cauliflower rice - this flavour packed dish may just be your new favourite vegan dinner recipe.
1 red onion, finely sliced
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons chipotle paste
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 hokkaido pumpkin (approx 600g), skin on, cut into wedges, seeds removed
2 mixed peppers (we used red and yellow), sliced
1 large orange
3 tablespoons vegan yoghurt
For the cauliflower rice:
1 medium cauliflower
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely grated or minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
A large handful of coriander, finely chopped, plus extra leaves to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Toss the red onion slices with the juice of 1 lime in a small bowl, add salt and scrunch together. Set aside to pickle.
- In a small bowl, mix together the oil, chipotle, maple syrup and juice of the 1 lime. Season well. Toss the pumpkin wedges in half of the sauce and reserve half for later.
- Roast for 15 minutes before adding the peppers to the tray. Return to the oven for 15 more minutes.
- In the meantime, grate the cauliflower head to create cauliflower ‘rice’.
- In a large pan, over a medium heat, heat the olive oil and add the garlic and cumin, cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Next add the cauliflower rice and cook for 2 minutes, season to taste and set aside.
- After the squash has been cooking 30 minutes, remove from the oven and toss with the remaining chipotle maple mixture and set aside.
- Use a serrated knife to peel away the skin of the remaining limes and the orange. Slice into rounds.
- To plate. Stir through the chopped coriander into the cauliflower and place rice onto a platter, then layer up the pumpkin, peppers, orange and limes on top, then finally top with the bred onions and vegan yoghurt.
Click here for more delicious lunch and dinner ideas.