Recipe: Artichoke & Broad Beans with a Warm Lentil Vinaigrette
It's officially artichoke season! And cooking them for this salad is the perfect way to honour their earthy, nutty flavour.
Roll out this vegan salad for barbecues, entertaining or a dinner at home - being a lentil-based, it also keeps well for next-day lunches.
How to make Artichoke & Broad Beans with a Warm Lentil Vinaigrette
Prep time : 45 minutes
Vegan, dairy free, gluten free
Note: You can use baby artichokes to do this in a fraction of the time, or pre-made artichoke hearts.
- 2 globe artichokes, trimmed
- 1 lemon
- 1 vegan stock cube or 2 teaspoons vegan bouillon powder
- A few thyme sprigs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 large celery stick, finely diced
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 300 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 300 g broad beans, double podded
- 300 g pre-cooked black or green lentils
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 30 g vegan parmesan, peeled into ribbons
- A handful of fresh oregano leaves
- A handful of fresh basil leaves
- Place the trimmed artichokes into a deep saucepan with the halved lemon, stock and thyme sprigs. Cover with boiling water and boil for 35-40 minutes until tender when poked with a cutlery knife.
- Meanwhile, sauté the carrot, celery and onion in a frying pan for 10 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and broad beans and sauté for 2 minutes before adding the lentils. Stir thoroughly and turn off the heat. Season well.
- In a small bowl, mix together the shallot, dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, maple syrup and extra virgin olive oil to make your dressing.
- When the artichokes are tender, trim away the leaves and choke and slice the hearts and stalks into quarters.
- To serve, pop the artichokes on top of the warm lentil salad and garnish with parmesan ribbons and herbs. Drizzle the dressing over everything and enjoy.