Carrot and Ginger Soup with Crispy Onions
Looking for a delicious seasonal vegan dinner? If you're looking to up your recipe game this Veganuary then why not try this warming, nourishing soup topped with crispy onions for a Planet Organic twist.
1kg Carrots, peeled and chopped into 2cm pieces
1 White onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp Olive Oil
Thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and grated
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
Salt and pepper
1 White onion, finely sliced
Rapeseed oil for frying
Flaked sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
2. Tip the carrots into a deep baking tray, toss in 1 tbsp olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes or until tender and starting to caramelise at the edges.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the crispy onions. In a small pan, pour in enough oil to just cover the onions. Heat the oil over a high heat until just shimmering. Tip the sliced onion into the hot oil and fry for 5 minutes or until starting to colour, stirring regularly. Turn the heat down to low and fry for a further 5 minutes or until golden and crispy. Remove the onions from the oil and drain on kitchen paper. Season with a pinch of flaked sea salt.
4. Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan. Fry the chopped onion over a low heat for 10 minutes or until softened and sweet. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the roasted carrots to the pan, stir everything together and cook for 10 minutes.
6. Pour 400ml boiling water into the pan and use a stick blender to blend until smooth (or pour into a blender), adding extra water as needed to achieve your desired consistency. For an extra silky soup, add a drizzle of olive oil in as you blend. Serve topped with the crispy onions.
Click here for more delicious lunch and dinner ideas.