Roasted Squash and Leek Risotto
Wondering what to make for dinner on a cold winters night? Why not try this seasonal risotto featuring delicious seasonal squash and leeks. Bonus points for roasting the seeds for extra crunch and less waste.
650g seasonal squash, peeled and chopped into 2cm pieces,seeds reserved
2 tbsp Olive oil
Salt and pepper
150g Leek, finely sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
250g Arborio rice
1 litre Vegetable stock
30g Parmesan, grated (or vegan alternative)
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
2. Tip the squash into a large baking tray and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast for 35-40 minutes or until tender and starting to caramelise at the edges.
3. Wash the reserved seeds and dry thoroughly. Tip onto a tray and toss with a little oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 10 minutes, giving them a shake halfway through. Tip into a bowl and leave to cool.
4. Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan and add the leek with a pinch of salt. Sweat over a low heat for 10 minutes until soft and vibrant green, stirring often.
5. Add the crushed garlic and rice to the leeks and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
6. Add the stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the stock to fully absorb before adding more. Continue adding stock until the rice is cooked, this should take around 20 minutes, you may not need all of the stock.
7. Once the squash is cooked, tip 2/3 into a bowl and mash with a fork. Stir into the risotto along with the parmesan and remaining squash. Garnish with the roasted seeds and extra parmesan to serve.
Click here for more delicious lunch and dinner ideas.