Recipe: Sesame + Soy Grilled Aubergine & Broad Bean Salad
Bursting with colour, full of flavour and nutrients, this vibrant, fresh salad will be your new summer dinner favourite.
Make the most of summer's produce and serve a bright salad to feed a crowd. Enjoy this aubergine and broad bean salad at a picnic, or share with friends on a warm summer night in the garden with a glass of wine! Vegan-friendly and gluten-free.
Here's how to make Sesame + Soy Grilled Aubergine & Broad Bean Salad
Prep time - 25 minutes
- 2 aubergines, sliced
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 200g broad beans, podded
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger, finely grated
- 2-3 large vine tomatoes, sliced
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- a few springs of coriander, to garnish
- Toss the aubergine slices in oil and griddle or BBQ until soft and lightly charred - this should take around 10 minutes. When the aubergine has softened, add the broad beans and cook until they have lightly charred. If using a BBQ, you may want to use a cast iron pan on top of the BBQ so the broad beans don’t fall through the grate.
- While the vegetables are cooking, mix together the soy, vinegar, sesame oil, garlic and ginger and mix well.
- When the vegetables have finished cooking, coat the vegetables in the dressing in a large bowl.
- Assemble the salad with the tomato slices and spring onions, and drizzle all of the dressing over it. Garnish with sesame seeds and coriander.