For the cake:
- 150g all-purpose flour
- 150g sugar
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 240g plant milk
- 90g Ombar 72% Cacao, cut into small pieces
- 90g maple syrup
- 35g cocoa powder
For the icing:
- 75g dairy free spread
- 225g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp plant milk
- 30g cocoa powder
For the spooky spidey toppings:
- Black fondant icing (palm oil free)
- White fondant icing (palm oil free)
- Vegan liquorice lace cut into 2-3 inch lengths for spider legs, 8 per cupcake
- 35g Ombar Centres Hazelnut Truffle for grating on top
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line 2 cupcake tins with 14 liners.
2. To a medium bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Whisk until fully combined.
3. To a bain-marie, add the plant milk and Ombar chocolate. Heat gently and stir continuously to melt the chocolate. Once melted, stir in the maple syrup and cocoa powder until combined.
4. Take the bowl off the heat and slowly add the dry ingredients to the liquids while gently whisking. Once fully mixed and smooth, divide the batter between the cupcake liners.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until bouncy to the touch. Leave to rest in the cupcake tin until completely cool.
6. While the cakes are cooling, begin making your frosting: mix the vegan spread, icing sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon of plant milk until thick and smooth.
7. When cakes are cool, spread the icing evenly with a knife over the cakes.
8. Time for decorating! Shape your white fondant icing into small circles for the spider’s eyes, do the same with the black icing but make these slightly smaller. Place the black icing on the white icing to create the eyes.
9. Stick on the liquorice legs, 4 on each side and watch your spider come to life! Once legs have been added, grate the Ombar Hazelnut Truffle on top. Repeat for all the cupcakes.