Vegan Raspberry Scones
Golden and chewy vegan and gluten-free scones with a crisp sugar top and a tender soft inside bursting with fresh juicy raspberries. Drizzle these scones with a sticky glaze for a delicious afternoon tea snack with homemade chia jam.
- 180g + 1 tbsp plain or GF plain flour
- 125g oat flour (oats ground into a flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 30g powdered erythritol or coconut/caster sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 110g vegan butter, fridge temperature
- 80ml plant-based milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ large banana (60g), mashed well
- 100g raspberries
- 1 tbsp plant-based milk
- 2 tbsp coconut/caster sugar, optional
Icing sugar Glaze:
- 100g powered erythritol or icing sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp water
Raspberry Chia Seed Jam:
- 100g raspberries
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp powered erythritol or maple syrup
- Make the raspberry chia jam by mashing the raspberries until soft, stir in the chia seeds and powdered erythritol (or syrup) and leave to rest for 1 hour. Store in a sealed container until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 180Fan/200*C and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add the 180g flour, oat flour, baking powder, powdered erythritol or sugar and salt to a mixing bowl, add in the butter and break down with your fingers to mix it all together. Continue until you have a crumble consistency.
- Stir in the milk, vanilla essence and mashed banana to bring to a sticky dough.
- Toss the raspberries with the 1 tbsp flour and gently fold into the dough.
- Transfer the scone dough to the tray with a dusting of flour and shape into a circle about 20cm in diameter. Slice into 8 pieces and brush with the 1 tbsp plant-based milk and sprinkled over the coconut/caster sugar. Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden, I like to cover the scones after the first 10 minutes with some foil, to prevent the edges turning too dark.
- Allow to cool before breaking apart.
- Make the icing sugar glaze by stirring together the ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over the scones and serve with the chia jam. Store the scones in an airtight container for 3-5 days or in the freezer for 1 month