Ingredients - MAKES 18
- 6 medjool dates, pitted
- ½ cup (125 ml/4 fl oz) boiling water
- 1 cup (200 g/7 oz) buckwheat groats
- ½ cup (40 g/1½ oz) cacao powder
- 1 cup (100 g/3½ oz) desiccated (shredded) coconut
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean powder*
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- finely grated zest of 1 unwaxed orange
- pinch of Himalayan salt
- 1/3 cup (60 g/2 oz) raisins, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs*
- ¼ cup (20 g/¾ oz) cacao powder
- 1/3 cup (30 g/1 oz) desiccated (shredded) coconut
- ½ cup (70 g/2½ oz) pistachios, finely ground
1. Soak the dates in water for 10 minutes, or until softened.
2. Toast the buckwheat groats in a dry frying pan over low–medium heat for 3–4 minutes, until golden brown and nutty. Set aside to cool.
3. Place the dates and any remaining liquid, cacao powder, coconut, almond butter, tahini, vanilla, cinnamon, orange zest and salt in a high-speed blender. Blend until the mixture begins to
4. Transfer into a medium bowl. Add the cooled toasted buckwheat, raisins and cacao nibs and
stir to combine.
5. Divide the mixture into 18 even portions. Roll into balls. Roll six balls in cacao powder, six in desiccated coconut and six in finely ground pistachios to coat.
6. Place on a tray and refrigerate for 1 hour, or until firm.
These can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator. Alternatively, you can freeze them for up to 3 months.