- 15g dried shiitake mushrooms
- 10g dried wild mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 100g sliced chestnut mushrooms
- 100g oyster mushrooms, sliced if large
- 50ml unsweetened plant-based milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400ml unsweetened plantbased milk
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 175g gluten-free polenta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Mix together the shiitake and wild mushrooms in a small bowl and cover with freshly boiled water. Set aside for 20 minutes.
2. Gently heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the shallots, garlic, tarragon, and nutmeg. Sauté for about 5 minutes, until soft and tender.
3. Strain the soaked mushrooms, reserving the juice. Add the drained mushrooms to the pan with the fresh mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat, stirring well. Turn the heat down and stir in a tablespoon of the mushroom juice and the milk, then simmer gently for a further 5 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste.
4. Now prepare the polenta. Place the milk and garlic in a pan and heat until almost at boiling point. Add the polenta in a steady stream, stirring well with a wooden spoon as you go. Bring to the boil and keep stirring until it reaches a smooth consistency (about 1–2 minutes). Add the olive oil and seasoning.
5. Serve on warmed plates with the magical mushrooms on top of the polenta.
Recipe taken from The chakra Kitchen book written by Sarah Wilkinson. Come and join us to meet the author on the 1st December at Planet Organic Westbourne Grove.