For the Jackfruit
- 1 can Jackfruit
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
For the beans
- 1 1/2 cups cooked or no-salt-added canned black beans (from one 15-ounce can), drained and rinsed
- 1 can tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more as needed
- 4 extra-large (burrito-size) flour tortillas
- 1 medium tomato, cored and cut into wedges
- 12 sprigs cilantro
- 3 spring onions
For the jackfruit: Drain and rinse it, then wrap it in paper towels and squeeze to remove as much moisture as possible. Cut the jackfruit into small pieces.
Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Once the oil shimmers, add the garlic and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and starting to lightly brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the jackfruit, paprika, allspice, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper, if using; cook, stirring frequently, until the spices start to become fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the lime juice, water and sugar, if using; partially cover and cook until the liquid is almost completely evaporated, 15 to 20 minutes. Uncover and cook for an additional minute or two, stirring, until the jackfruit starts to brown on some edges. Taste, and add more salt, as needed. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
For the beans: Combine the beans, tomato can and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook just until warmed through, a few minutes. Taste, and add more salt, as needed. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
When ready to assemble, briefly warm the tortillas in the oven.
Lay one tortilla on a work surface. Spread some of the jackfruit mixture across the middle, then top with the beans, including some of their liquid, avocado, sauerkraut, tomato wedges, spring onions and cilantro sprigs. Roll one side of the tortilla over the filling, fold over the sides and continue rolling to form a burrito.
Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Serve warm.
MORE JACKFRUIT RECIPES