Change it up this Easter with a celebratory chocolatey twist on a seasonal classic
255g plain flour
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
80g Love Cocoa Ecuador 70% Organic Dark Chocolate, finely chopped
4 tbsp vegan butter, melted – or you can use coconut oil
150ml plant-based milk of choice, warmed
7g sachet of yeast
3 tbsp coconut sugar – or you can use brown sugar
Vegan ice cream to serve - we love Booja Booja
For the crosses:
Use more melted chocolate to create the crosses
- Heat the milk until it’s slightly warm, but not too hot or it will kill the yeast. Pour into a bowl and mix in the sugar and yeast. Leave to the side for 10 minutes to allow the yeast to grow.
- In a larger bowl, mix together the flour, spices, salt and chopped chocolate.
- Fold in the yeast mixture and melted butter/coconut oil. Mix until a dough forms and then kneed for a couple of minutes. Add more milk if needed.
- Cover with cling film and a towel. Leave in a warm place for 1-2 hours to rise.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, divide into 6 balls and arrange in a lightly oiled tin/baking dish. I used a loaf tin. Cover and leave to rise again for 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 190*C (170*C fan assisted) and bake for 25-30 minutes. Leave to cool completely before creating the crosses.
- Use melted chocolate and a piping bag (or a spoon) to create the crosses.
- To serve – Halve a hot cross bun and place a scoop of your favourite ice cream (I recommend chocolate!) on the bottom half then sandwich with the top half.