SERVES: 2 adults and 2 children
PREP TIME: 15 mins, plus overnight soaking
COOK TIME: 40 mins
- 175g/6oz/1 cup brown basmati rice
- 1 tbsp natural yogurt or kefir
- 1 small piece horseradish root, peeled and finely grated, or 3–4 tbsp bottled horseradish sauce
- 3–4 tbsp mayonnaise, plus extra as needed (optional)
- 12 sheets of nori, cut in half crossways
- 1 cucumber, cut into thin matchsticks
- 2 carrots, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted and peeled, then cut into strips
- 100g/31⁄2oz alfalfa sprouts
- Umeboshi paste
- Wasabi paste
- Put the rice, yogurt and 500ml/17fl oz/2 cups warm water in a medium saucepan and leave to soak, covered, for at least 7 hours or overnight.
- Bring the rice to the boil, reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, for 40 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, divide the grated horseradish root, if using, into two small bowls and mix with the mayonnaise. For adults, use equal amounts; for children use 1 part horseradish to 3 parts mayonnaise. Put the sauce on the table.
- Set the other components of the sushi on the table: put the nori sheets on a plate and the cucumber, carrots and avocado on another. Put the sprouts, umeboshi paste, wasabi paste and rice into serving bowls.
- Show everyone how to assemble their own sushi. Put 1 piece of nori, shiny-side down, on a plate. Spread a very thin strip of the umeboshi and wasabi pastes along the bottom of the nori, then some of the horseradish sauce, followed by 2 tablespoons of the rice. Top with vegetables and sprouts, then roll the sushi to form a log. Eat immediately.