Fable Vegan Mushroom Tacos
Want to mix up your Taco Tuesday recipes? We've teamed up with Fable to create a delicious, vegan taco recipe made using their plant based meat alternative from shitake mushrooms. As seen on Netflix, Fable's mushrooms are meaty and umami, leveraging the nutritious benefits and natural flavours of mushrooms that help make meat so appealing. Naturally high in fibre, vitamin D, a source of protein and low in sugar, even better, the entire recipe only takes 20 minutes (including prep time).
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Olive oil
- Mexican spice mix of 2 tbsp paprika, 1 tbsp ground cumin, 1 tbsp onion powder, 2 tsp garlic powder, 1-2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 jar of salsa roja
- 1 large red onion, halved then sliced
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- Bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, halved
- Prepare your pickled onions by adding sliced red onions into a container or jar, with half a squeeze of lime and 2 pinches of salt. Shake or mix until evenly distributed then set aside. Cut the remaining lime into wedges for later.
- Heat up a frying pan over a high heat with a lash of olive oil.
- Lay out your Fable onto a chopping board and use something heavy like a mallet or jar to mash up the chunks to a finer, pulled texture
- Add Fable to your hot pan and cook until slightly browned (around 5 mins) then add spices and mix through until you see crispy edges form (another 3-5 mins).
- Get another fry pan hot without oil. Splash a small amount of water on both sides of the tortilla with your fingers and heat for 1-2 minutes on each side. Alternatively, you can use a sandwich press or flat grill.
- To assemble your tacos start with a tortilla, a spoon of salsa, generous spoon of Fable, pickled onions, tomato, jalapenos, coriander and finish off with a squeeze of lime.
- Take a big bite and experience a flavour bomb go off in your mouth.
Follow @planetorganic on Instagram for more delicious recipes and don't forget to tag us if you create these delicious tacos.