Carlin Pea & Carrot Falafels by Hodmedod's
2 carrots, roughly chopped
3 spring onions, roughly chopped
Handful of fresh coriander
120g dry Carlin Peas, soaked overnight in cold water
1 cup quinoa flakes or rolled oats
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chilli flakes
1/2 tsp sea salt, to taste
Freshly milled black pepper, to taste
4 tbsp rapeseed oil or other oil for frying
1. First, rinse the soaked carlin peas, cover with fresh water and bring to the boil on the hob for 40 to 60 minutes, until tender. Drain and set aside.
2. Next, put the carrot and spring onion in the food processor and pulse a few times, then add in the carlin peas, coriander, spices and seasoning. Blend until everything is combined, leaving some texture.
3. Scoop the mix out of the food processor, then shape the mixture into 12 small flat patties.
4. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then carefully place the falafels into the pan once the oil is hot. Fry on a medium heat for around 7 minutes, turning occasionally to ensure both sides are evenly browned.
5. Serve with a simple carrot, white cabbage and spring onion slaw, a quick sesame oil and tamari dressing and garnish with chopped coriander.
If you haven’t had time to soak the peas overnight, you can do a quick soak by boiling for 10 minutes on the hob then leaving to stand for an hour in the water. After an hour, drain and rinse, then bring to the boil again in fresh water for 40 to 60 minutes, until tender.