The good life Salad
- 200g Puy lentils
- 2–3 sweet potatoes (750g), peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for roasting
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5–6 handfuls of kale (300g), stalks removed and leaves chopped into small pieces
- ½ pomegranate, kernels removed
- 150g cooked red or black quinoa (optional)
- 60g walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- For the orange and tahini
- finely grated zest of 1 large orange
- juice of 2 oranges
- 100g tahini
- 75ml olive oil
- salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
2. Put the lentils in a saucepan and add 600ml water to cover the lentils completely. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes, or until tender. Drain in a colander and run under cold water to stop the cooking process, then leave to cool. Set aside.
3. Put the sweet potatoes into a large bowl, add the olive oil, salt and pepper and toss well until the sweet potatoes are coated.Transfer the sweet potatoes to a roasting tin and roast in the hot oven for 15–20 minutes. Leave to cool.
4. To make the dressing, put all the ingredients into a blender and blitz until smooth or whisk by hand. Set aside.
5. Put the chopped kale leaves into a large bowl, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, and using your hands, massage the oil into the kale.
6. Once the sweet potato and lentils have cooled, add them to the kale then add the pomegranate kernels. If using quinoa, add this now. Pour in 150ml of the dressing, or to your liking, and toss until everything is coated in the dressing.Top with the chopped walnuts and nutritional yeast flakes and serve.
Recipe taken from the book Good Life Eatery, available here