De-stress and unwind with our friends at Blästa Henriët's relaxation technique.
You need: 1 blanket, 1 bolster or firm pillows, 1 eye pillow
1. Sit down on a yoga mat or soft rug with your knees bent and your feet grounded. Fold the blanket in half and place behind you. The blanket will support you from your tailbone to the top of your head.
2. Place the bolster under your knees for support.
3. Lie back onto the blanket and place arms out at a 45-degree angle, palms facing up and your knees relaxed over the bolster.
4. Place the eye pillow over your eyes. The eye pillow will apply gentle pressure that send signals to the brain to relax, it will also block out unwanted light and help quiet your mind.
5. Breathe deeply through your nose and exhale deeply through your nose or your mouth. Try lengthening your exhale and keep the inhale shorter than your exhale - inhale for 4 counts and exhale for 8 counts.
Aim to stay in this position for at least 2 minutes and longer if needed.
Whilst maintaining the pose and breathing, travel across your body in your mind and acknowledge each body part as you go along. Starting with the big toe, second toe, middle toe and so on - move on to the shin, calf and thigh and across the abdomen, bellybutton, ribs, shoulder and on to the arm down to your fingers and back to the throat, across your face to the tip of your head and across to the other arm and all the way back down through the opposite leg.
This exercise is really helpful to help clear your mind and deepen relaxation. If you notice your mind starts wondering just acknowledge that it has happened and bring your attention back to your body.
Repeat as necessary.