Crispy Tempeh Katsu Sando with Tangy Kimchi Mayo
Looking for a delicious and natural vegan meat-alternative this Veganuary? We’ve got your back! Tiba Tempeh is a natural plant-based protein, sensational in stir-fries, curries, wraps, salad and more. It’s also packed with protein, high in fibre, organic, made with live cultures and purely from plants. Tasty, healthy, easy and sustainable... you can have it all when you grab life by the plants with Tiba Tempeh!
Up the ante with this sweet, sour, spicy and most satisfying of sandwiches… featuring crispy Tiba Tempeh steaks enveloped in soft, pillowy white bread.
Ingredients (Makes 6 sandwiches)
- 1 Tiba Tempeh Traditional Block 200g
- 6 slices of white bread, thick and soft
- 5 tbsp of Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 small white cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Tiba Tempeh Traditional Block 200g, £3.29
For the slurry:
- 4 tbsp plain flour (cornflour, arrowroot powder, chickpea flour or rice flour will also work)
- 100ml water
For the Kimchi Mayo:
- 2 tbsp The Cultured Collective Kimchi
- 2 tbsp Vegan Mayo
The Cultured Collective Vegan Classic Kimchi 250g, £4.99
For the katsu sauce:
- 2 tbsp of ketchup
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Mix together all the ingredients for the katsu sauce and set aside
- Finely dice the kimchi and mix thoroughly and evenly with the vegan mayo and set aside.
- Slice the tempeh into 6 even ‘steaks’ about 1cm thick.
- Spread the Panko breadcrumbs onto a plate.
- Make the slurry by whisking together the flour and water. Pour the mixture into a low-profile bowl. Dip the tempeh into the flour slurry, drip off any excess and then gently coat in the breadcrumbs.
- In a deep frying pan, heat an inch of oil and gently fry the steaks until golden brown on both sides. Remove from the heat and set aside on some paper towel or a wire rack to drain any excess oil.
- Spread 1 tsp of Dijon mustard on 3 slices of bread. Top with a generous layer of Kimchi mayonnaise. Add the tempeh steaks, tonkatsu sauce and shredded cabbage. Top with the remaining slices of bread, remove the crusts, cut each sandwich in half and serve.